Friday, August 22, 2014

A Bit of Everything (literally..).

OHKAY. Let me just warn you.
This blog is gonna be all over the place. 
It's not about one certain topic, or event. 
It's just a bit of an informative, teaching (hopefully) blog..

First thing's first: The Power of the Tongue.

I mean, I think we all know.. The tongue is one of the most powerful things... in almost every aspect of life. It can open doors, it can definitely shut them. It can bring people up, or it can stab their hearts, and twist the knife, causing them extreme pain. 

"They've lifted my heart
To places I'd never been
And they've dragged me down
Back to where I began

Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You
(Back to You)

Let the words I say
(Let the words I say)
Be the sound of Your grace
(Sound like Your grace)
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You "
-Hawk Nelson "Words"
But let's think about the tongue from a different aspect than just the actual words we say.... Because as I have recently been reminded of, the words, the actual WORDS that we say can be beautiful, they can even be bible verses.. but the TONE, my friends... is as much a crucial part of how people will react as are the words.  

Working with youth this year, really getting my hands dirty with it, has taught me SOOO much about how to speak to people, how to communicate what I'm feeling, and how to teach without sounding judgmental or like I'm "Oh so Holy." I know that this is something I've always struggled with.  Even when I was in high school, I remember a girl on my volleyball team telling me "You don't even sound like you're trying to help.  It just sounds like you're condemning me!" and she wasn't a Christian.  So, you can ask anyone, and I'm pretty sure they can attest to the fact that "I'm just a product of grace that's still in the process." (Shout out to Andy Mineo). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yesterday, Wednesday, August 20th, I moved into my college, Moody Bible Institute.  I am a sophomore at Moody (even though my PCM roster says freshy).  It's so surreal. Like, "Dang. I'm growing up." Haha. For those of you who know my parents and their ever so loose rules, you know how big this step is for me.  I mean, I still live 20 minutes away from them (so I can still technically say I'm in their 20 minute radius -____-).  

I am beyond excited to be here.  To be trained how to do ministry, in my hometown, FOR my hometown... there is nothing better than that.  To be among thousands of students all praising, worshiping and working for the same goal of furthering the kingdom... I really don't think you can get a better place. 

I'm also blessed to be "returning" in my PCM to ICI.  It's pretty cool the way the Lord works things out, and his timing... I'm taking Youth Ministry classes........ WHILE I do the actual ministry... I don't have to wait years to apply what I learn today.  I can apply it that same day, or that week. It's beautiful. 

I cannot wait to see what the Lord has for me this year, and these coming years at Moody, at ICI, and wherever the Lord decides to take me.  I know that I feel peace about what I'm doing, and where I'm at.  I truly feel the peace of God with me.  The Lord knows I'ma need his strength during finals and mid-terms, but ..maybe if I look into the eyes of the kids that I work with... there, the Lord WILL renew my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment